For countries like Switzerland or if someone lives in high mountain areas, the AWD certainly still provides a big advantage. This was my thinking too behind it when I chose AWD. I do not live in a mountain area but the Alps are only 100 km away from my home (I can actually see them from my house when I have a clear view towards that direction) and my wife and the kids go skiing very often, so I sometimes just take a short trip to the Alps and/or Austria in winter time. A steep garage exit can already be a challenge when the snow is fresh (and high) but usually, the roads are cleaned and there isn't much of a problem to get along with 2WD as well.

For my situation, the AWD doesn't really make sense because the 2WD Carrera has already a lot of traction (rear engine concept advantage) and driving dynamics aren't really improved with AWD. Whenever I try to use the AWD advantage, I always get the rear breaking out, not much different from a 2WD. So whats the point?

The 996 Turbo AWD setup was actually perfect, very neutral but people didn't seem to like it (for whatever weird reason, maybe some of them had a death wish, very likely the very same people who switched from a 996 Turbo to a 996 GT2 and then...crashed it angry). Porsche changed the setup and while I have to admit that you barely feel the AWD, which suggests a very good setup on Porsche's part, my question is: What is the AWD then good for? Yes, traction is better with AWD and yes, it may be an advantage when you have to climb a hill but otherwise, I would stay away from it. It actually makes more sense in the new 991.2 with bi-turbo engines and of course in the 991 Turbo/S.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Ford Mustang GT500 Shelby SVT (2014), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)