bluelines:
Carlos from Spain:
steelested:

i may be wrong but i thought the gts and the power kit on the s are exactly the same?

I'm sure i must have missed something?

Actually the engine modifications on the GTS to reach the 430HP are different than the ones on the CarreraS powerkit, and were specifically made for the GTS.

Excellent write up and pics!!! Smiley Enjoyed reading it very much! Thanks for sharing Smiley

Regarding the power kit, are you sure this really the case? Porsche did two different power kits for the very same engine both ending up at 430hp Smiley It is not just hard-to-interpret Porsche marketing waffle which has caused some confusion? Smiley Like Porsche's statement that the GTS fills the space between the S and the GT3 when in fact it has 99% in common with the S and only alcantara bits in common with the GT3... 

This is from Porsche press kit, maybe these mods on the GTS became a new powerkit for the CarreraS afterwards, but they imply that the mods were done specifically for the GTS, in fact in the Spanish version is says "specifically designed for this model":

The engine of the 911 Carrera GTS models is an advanced development of the liter 3.8 liter six-cylinder from the 911 Carrera S. An additional 30 hp was gained by completely reworking the intake manifold. The variable resonance induction system that was specially developed was essential to boosting the engine's power and torque. In this system, the central intake manifold flap is supplemented by six additional resonance flaps, one in each individual cylinder runner. They are simultaneously opened or closed based on engine speed and accelerator pedal position. The result: oscillating tube charging provides for better filling of the combustion chambers. This ensures that an optimal amount of fresh air reaches the combustion chambers in all driving situations, generating high torque at low revs and more power at high revs.

In parallel, airflow within the engine was optimized. The goal: more charging at high revs for more power. To achieve this, the intake ports of the cylinder heads were geometrically optimized, and they were machine-lapped, i.e. smoothed, by a new process, which reduces their resistance to air flow. New intake camshafts with a larger valve stroke and a modified valve-spring kit enable induction of more fresh air into the combustion chambers over a
longer period. The results: improved resonance charging which, in conjunction with the reworked engine control system, leads to optimal charging of the combustion chamber. The driver can access the full torque of the 911 Carrera S engine, and thereby its elasticity, as well as more power from the GTS engine at full throttle. This leads to very impressive driving characteristics in the 911 Carrera GTS.

--

⇒ Carlos - Porsche 991 Carrera GTS