Futch:

I don't think so Thomas because there are two very different cars. If the new RS captures just a fraction of the magic of the RS 4.0 then it doesn't even compare with the Cayman.
The Cayman is a fantastic sportscar for the road, definitely one of the best I've ever driven but it's no track toy, I will confirm that at Silverstone but one can tell.

Actually I don't think it should have been a GT car, the engine alone is not worthy of the GT name, it's a nice engine but anyone who has driven a GT3 will understand. I have not yet driven the DFI GT3 of the 991 generation and they might also be bland, but the Mezger is a motorsport engine, not the one in the Cayman, like I wrote, it feels very similar to the engine I have in my 997 Sport Classic with a great top end between 5500 and 7500 and very descent torque.

For me this car should have been called the Cayman R, as a successor to the previous generation, a lighter, more powerful Cayman.

Don't get me wrong, zero regret on my side, this will be my summer car in the Alps and it will be epic but don't regret not getting one over a GT3RS.

Interesting feedback. Nice to hear the praise for the GT4 on the road. I must admit that I would have been surprised if you had praised it as much on the track (solely given your racing experience).

I personally find the GT4 to be the ultimate track toy for having fun on track days. It is not a road legal semi-race car like the RS to set the fastest laps. This is also reflected by the GT4's price. When money is no issue, then the RS is obviously the winner, but following this logic then the RS is also overshadowed by the 918... 

The only thing which slightly annoys me with the GT4 after 2+ months of ownership is the long'ish gearing.

--

2015 981 Cayman GT4 | White | Full Bucket Seats | Sport Chrono
2014 991 Carrera 4S | Dark Blue Metallic | PDK | Sport Chrono | SPASM