this is just my opinion, coming from a big fan of the Boxster from day 1 and ignoring their roofs and drivetrains and incremental model series changes, but just from purely an emotional level visually, the 997.2 Spyder  is to my eyes mre charismatic in its many running configurations : top down , top up fully sealed, top up with rear  window / weather shield removed ,  side window shape ( with its straight downsloping upper edge accentuating the flying butresses of the fabric " bimini " top 

the 981.1  Spyder  ,  because of its use of the std  rounded stubby side window glass ( therfore presenting the same side profile as any 981 Boxster , save the subdued vestigial roof buttresses ) and elimination of the separate detachable rear window/ weather shield  lost that uniquely sleek chopped and channeled  and " bimini'd " look of it immediate predecessor 

I think in the future 20 -30 yrs from now ,  the 997.1 Spyder ( esp with manual gearbox and LWB seats ) will be the one and only " Boxster " collectors will want for that very reason , since contemopray  performance metrics means nothing in the vintage world of series production Porsche sports cars ....just look at current values of 930 and 993 Turbos , which can be handily outrun by even some sports sedans now