nberry:

There is one safety device Porsche should have installed on the car and we all know what that is.

PSM (or better known as ESP) wasn't a "common" feature in sports cars by the time the CGT was presented, so why should they (Porsche) have installed it?

Nowadays, it would be much more difficult to put a car without ESP on the market, simply because a lawsuit would be waiting to happen. They (lawyers) could always argue that ESP is a "common" feature on similar products.

Funny side story: When I talked with a Porsche engineer about why launch control isn't "integrated" into the normal start off procedure or why, at least, it isn't "simplified", the answer was quite frank: "If something happens and this goes to court, we can always argue that we are using a system which is "common" and used by similar manufacturers too". It makes sense, indeed but it is sad that because of legal issues, Porsche cannot offer certain features which would make a lot of drivers happy. Actually, because of some idiots who think they can drive because they once did 200 mph on a closed road Smiley, all drivers, even those who can drive, have to suffer.

Launch control is stupid, it is annoying and I never use it. What's the point? You cannot stand at a red light and start to use launch control. On my Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT, the throttle response has been reprogrammed to be instantaneously from standstill. I get a better time (0.1 seconds) than with launch control. Smiley Amazing. No car manufacturer would actually do that for legal reasons. I remember a case when the first Cayenne Turbo has been introduced many many years ago and a woman in the US (I think) crashed into a wall because of the instant throttle response (actually because of her stupidity but thats a different story Smiley), so they reprogrammed it (as far as I remember). I had so many complaints about the throttle response of my first Cayenne Turbo and Porsche couldn't do anything about it for legal reasons. Not even on an individual basis, for the very same reason. This sucked.

Same goes to features like louder exhaust systems: There have been various environmental groups, in Germany for example, who threatened Porsche with legal steps (or even went through with them) to reduce exhaust noise. I wonder why none of these environmental groups doesn't go after Ferrari or Aston Martin or Maserati. Typical... 

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S, Porsche Boxster S (981), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014), BMW X3 35d (2013)