Le Mans for the WEC newbie:

(unable to start a new thread so I post this here)

Thanks to Spyderidol for starting the "Porsche Back in Le Mans with LMP1 2014" thread and I have followed it with much interest.  While I have attended a few Formula 1 races (4 in Montreal and 1 in Catalunya), I am becoming more intrigued by endurance racing.  Some years ago I spent a few hours at the ALMS race held in Lime Rock, but only because a colleague knew the team principal and driver of the Flying Lizards racing team.  Since then it has been television viewing of an hour here or there of various endurance races.

I will be spending two weeks in Paris beginning 12-June and my hope is to attend the Le Mans race weekend.  Again, thanks to Spyderidol for the following link (http://www.traveldestinations.co.uk) which I intend to use given some context.  

This brings me to my question:  What is the suggested plan of action to enjoy the best elements of the race for the first-time attendee, who will be getting to Le Mans by train?  I have not purchased tickets yet nor arranged for accommodation in Le Mans so my options are wide open.  An all-nighter, where I arrive - watch the race - then return to Paris, is something considered in my bolder moments but I'm long past my college-aged endurance.  I have also thought of renting a car for the weekend though really have no idea if that only gets me caught up in the snarl of event traffic.

I welcome any advice from the Le Mans veterans on the board.

Cheers!