RC:
SciFrog:

The only real explanation is that the car doesn't sell well...

I think the R8 "suffers" from various difficulties in Germany:

1. Audi doesn't seem to advertise the car. At all. Also, sales training seems to see this car as a track car but customers interested in this car are usually looking for something else.

2. The depreciation of the first R8 generation is quite strong and many of these cars fell into the "wrong" hands. Some of the customers tune/wrap these cars in a pretty offensive way.

3. Many interested sportcars buyers were never really having the R8 on their radar, for various reasons. The first generation wasn't exactly a good track car and the brand Audi is not something people would associate with a supersportscar.

4. Audi didn't exactly advertise the R8 tech, when I tell people that the Huracan and the R8 share more than 70% of parts, people look at me as if I'm nuts. Maybe Audi (or VW?) doesn't want to advertise this because of marketing reasons, no clue but I noticed that many people think that the new R8 is just a facelift of the old one, which is weird.

5. The V10 engine scares off buyers, as weird as this may sound. My Porsche dealer told me that buyers almost always ask about fuel consumption when they want to buy a 911, especially the Turbo or Turbo S.

6. You cannot really impress with an...Audi. Ferrari, Lamborghini, Porsche, McLaren, Aston Martin, etc. buyers often buy the brand name as well. For many, an Audi is just...an Audi. Unlike me, they do not look at the tech or how the car drives and what emotions it creates. Which is unfortunate but to each his own I guess. I do not judge. Also, people compare prices and paying 220k EUR for an Audi when they can get a Huracan, 488, a 570S or a 991 Turbo S for basically the same money?

7. The R8 is sold at regular Audi dealers. Meaning: Those who sell an Audi A1 also sell a R8. Many Audi sales persons are not even allowed to drive R8 and only a selected few get R8 sales training. Their enthusiasm to sell the R8 is limited. My sales guy was admitted to R8 sales training after I recommended him to his boss. Weird.

8. In Germany, people usually want to lease the R8 because they fear a high depreciation (based on the fate of the old one). My dealer had 5(!) R8 customers who "fell through" with VW Financial (lease company). Within a couple of months only. VW Financial is very strict lately about credit scores and my Porsche dealer had similar issues with some of his customers lately. If they cannot lease, they do not buy. Some of these customers, mostly handymen and such or young entrepeneurs, have the cash but cannot really use it because once they pay a certain sum in cash, the tax office is allover them. 

Long story short: My dealer doesn't seem to be unhappy with R8 sales numbers but I also have to admit that I have not seen these numbers.

Personally, I think that the R8 doesn't sell (if it doesn't sell) in Germany for three reasons: It is too expensive for an Audi, the V10 engine scares buyers off (fuel consumption, emissions, don't laugh...this stuff is important to many here) and the car looks like an exotic, which either is a good thing (but then why not buy a Huracan or whatever instead?) or bad thing (social awareness in Germany, one reason the 911 Turbo is so popular here).

I got a very good lease deal myself, so yes...this has definetely been one of the reasons I chose this car and I am actually very very surprised that me and Conny seem to be the only ones here. Especially considering the fact that the R8 is not only reliable but also very easy to maintain. I mentioned it before: I had my windshield exchanged in two days. A Huracan exchange would have lasted two weeks because the windshield was on backorder. Also when traveling, you can go to basically any Audi dealer if you have smaller issues. For me, this is really worth gold because it reduces my stress level.

My advice still stands: If someone is interested in a fun sportscar, have a test-ride in a R8 V10 Plus (DO NOT testdrive the non Plus version, it has a very comfy and unsporty chassis setup!) and try to forget about brands. Right now, I love my R8 so much that I am thinking of buying it when the lease ends. I may however go for the facelift with RWS though but only if the V10 engine and it's wonderful sound stays.

I also own 2017 V10 Plus, I traded my 991 TTS for it and i don't regret it. i wanted an R8 since they offered the V10 engine, but i had to wait for the new model since Stronic was only an option with the face lift.