Lars997:

Actually I like the Fiat500. The car has much more space than you would anticipate. Also it handles great. Its a lot of car for the small bucks it costs. Ideal for some regions/cities and also if someone cant or doesnt want to spend much more money for a car.  Look-wise I think its a cute, good looking small car. 

I like the 500 too but does a large manufacturer like Fiat want to be defined by the 500 model only? This would be quite sad. VW has a  pretty interesting strategy and Fiat followed a similar path but only with Ferrari and Maserati. Alfa Romeo, such a great brand, left in ruins and I doubt that the new 4C will change much for now. Fiat actually has only the 500 and Lancia is actually the weirdest thing in here, using Chrysler tech under the Lancia brand name. Oh boy.

Without Ferrari, Fiat would be dead by now and I really mean it.

The 500 is nice and all but quality? I am also missing some really interesting 500 models. The Abarth namemhas been misused so many times, I just can't take it serious anymore.

Almost 30 years ago, my friends had Fiat Uno Turbos and Fiat Ritmo TC130 Abarth cars. Small little racers, VW had huge difficulties with their Golf GTi and there was actually no real competitor to the Uno Turbo. These cars created emotions, they were really sports cars in their time. Driving a Lancia Delta HF Integrale 16V at that time, a compact car with 185 hp at first and later on up to 270 hp and more (tuned), there was basically no ordinary 911 model able to keep up with me, it was so much fun.

THIS is what I miss about Fiat...good cars which create emotions. The 500 is certainly the right path but since it showed up, nothing even half as interesting has followed. Sad.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S, Porsche Boxster S (981), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014), BMW X3 35d (2013)