Ferdie:
Whoopsy:

The best halo car is one that loses money for the parent company I reckon. That means the company is really making the best car there is, as oppose to making the most money they can.

I kindly disagree. The best halo car is a car that exhibits qualities and potential no other car does, no matter if from the same company or a competitor. The 959 might have been the technological halo car back then but I´d say the F40 has surpassed it with its raw character. There is so much more to a car than those rationales applied. I am very curious, once we look back on cars like the CGT, the 918 or the Enzo and LaFerrari as vintage cars, how our thought and opinions might have changed. 

I believe it has more to do with the effort that is put into it, which sometimes does correlate with the money invested in the project, but sometimes has more to do with the people involved in development, due to their skills and effort. 

As to the price requested by McLaren, all those companies are bound to earn money with their activities. Otherwise they go bankrupt. I doubt many people consider the manufacturing or development budget on an object at time of purchase, be it a car, jewelry or electronics. What is relevant is whether the price matches the quality and allure of the product, that, in my opinion, is what it boils down to.

Smiley

Fergie, yes, all the companies are working to gain profits, but in hypercar segment you can go 2 ways:

a) build a car and ask for double price (P1, LaF, Veneno case), because it is luxury and exclusive or...

b) build a car that makes money loss but moves profit into less expensive products, gaining brand or group prestige in technologies and know how (Veyron and 918)

Of course it is only my vision, I can be totally wrong here.Smiley

--

sportcars-history.com