RC:

You know what Porsche could do? After six months or so, they could offer some sort of optimization for the 991 Turbo S, similar to what McLaren did with the 12C power upgrade. They wouldn't need to offer more power but they could offer a higher boost pressure at certain speed/rev figures, improving overall performance for example in the 150 to 250 kph speed range. Just saying. This would be VERY customer friendly and all Turbo S lovers around the world would LOVE Porsche for doing that.--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S, Cayenne GTS (958), BMW X3 35d (2013)

RC - I know you have said that aftermarket tuning is no longer easy or advisable with the variable vane turbos.  Is this a matter of inexperience on the part of the tuners or just additional complexity? Is DFI and the higher static compression to blame as well?

In the old days, one could add 50% more HP/TQ to the stock Mezger turbo motor while retaining most of the reliability and drivability.  Is that possibility totally lost now?

My EVO IX has >50% power and torque over stock levels while retaining stock turbocharger and other hardware (much of this due to being able to easily switch between gasoline and 85% Ethanol fuels).   Do you see more aftermarket tuning possible in the future, once the software can be more easily understood and manipulated?

I know +50% is extreme with current power levels, but 10-20% should be possible, which is still LOTS of power.

--

73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550