mc3744:

Back from a trip to Venice (with the Cayenne Turbo, I like it better than the 4S!).

It is my understanding that when they say the car is in QA it's actually in the exclusive department to fit the exclusive options. Both my new ones have been "in QA" for a while and I enquired and discovered that it's actually the post line production fitting.

As to the delays, they told me that if they don't find what's the problem with my Turbo S, Porsche Germany might decide to put on stand deliveries until the understand what's the issue. I'm really hoping they'll fix it soon. Monday morning they'll either work it out or call in Germany HQ.

They haven't called/informed them yet? This is getting ridiculous.

The F12 is amazing. On value for money the 911 is quite clearly the better choice. But I don't really think that this kind of expense falls under any economic rationale. Nobody "needs" a car like this. We like it and we spend if we can afford to. It's not really about "making sense", is it?

I'd love  an F12 but social reasons kept from getting it (I went to see it, I admit it). Given that I cannot use the 911, I'm not so happy about it right now. But I expect that, if I'll ever get to use my Turbo S, the versatility of the 911 coupled with the performance will more than make up for the Ferrari "dream". If I didn't have to worry about social consequences I probably would have gone for the Aventador anyway, not the F12.

Very well said. Yes, the F12 is an amazing car but the 991 Turbo S fits my social environment, my lifestyle and public perception much better than the F12. People already associate owning a Porsche with money (first question from people is how fast and second question is how much, which always really p.ss.s me off) and with a Ferrari, even the cheapest one, things would get quite ugly. Unless you live in a very big city with many rich people in a rich neigbhorhood and you don't have kids going to school. The problem aren't even the kids (until they grow older...) but their parents. Not even always because of envy or whatever but my kids have a lot of stuff which other kids don't and when these kids tell their parents, the parents aren't too happy about it because they cannot afford (or simply don't want) to buy their kids similar stuff (iPad, Playstation, model cars, games, etc. etc. etc.). If you think that every kid over here has stuff like that, you are wrong. Also many kids here don't watch many US movies, my daughter's best friend doesn't have a clue who The Avengers are. She never heard of Thor, The Hulk, Ironman or others. Her parents didn't let her watch the typical Mickey Mouse, Tom & Jerry, etc. cartoons but Benjamin Blümchen (which is an elephant and he kind of "fights" evil people, mostly rich people, with his friends and tries to protect nature and to save the environment...), a well known German cartoon show. Just an example.

Mentality is a problem here and in other EU countries. Some parents educate their kids in a pretty universal/international way, like we do and others stick extremely to traditions, local values and similar stuff. We live in a globalized world but the thoughts and actions of people here were never less "global". It is shocking and sometimes even frightening for me. My wife always says that these people are "hicks" (Americans know probably what this means) but it isn't that simple since many of them are often actually intellectuals. I call them die hard conservatives (not in a political sense though).

One parent (a mother) of one of my kid's friends asked me last week why I drive a Porsche (she was actually referring to my Cayenne GTS). She was actually very friendly (and curious), so I told her (fun, great to drive, drive feel, long time brand connection, etc.). She looked at me as if I just told her that I take meth. Smiley She didn't understand a word I said and I'm not kidding. They drive a VW Sharan and a Skoda stationwagon and every car has to be functional. The words "fun" or "drive feel" don't exist with these people, they need a reliable, somewhat affordable car with enough space to go from A to B. This was actually the first time I understood why some people don't "get" my love for Porsche.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S, Cayenne GTS (958), BMW X3 35d (2013)