TomSilver:

After reading this great report, I think I'm a potential Turbo Cab customer. Unfortunately, my 991S is just two months old! When I ordered it, there was no sign that the Turbo Cab would come so soon. Even my dealer didn't know about it. After the Turbo Cab announcement, I called him a little bit angry and he swore that he was equally surprised as me.

The 991S is really fast on country roads, but for me personally it's no fun driving it on the Autobahn. The PDK is constantly switching between 5th/6th/7th gear, because the engine has not enough torque in the lower rev range. It's not that I need the absolute HP of the Turbo, for me, 400 is just enough. But I miss the low end torque that gives you a more relaxed driving.

Omg, I need a Turbo!

I think you do. Smiley Even if the Cab adds 70 kg weight, the car is so powerful. Also, the AWS seems to do wonders regarding steering and chassis feel and there is no understeer. The car behaves neutral most of the time and in the worst case scenario, your rear comes softly. Very nice setup.

Relaxed driving? I barely drive the Turbo S above 2000 rpm and this is no joke. If you really want to keep it relaxed (and you're still not really slow doing that), the rev jumps to 2000 rpm and PDK upshifts in auto mode. Usually, I was driving between 2000 and 3000 rpm and the car was really fast. Sport mode has a perfect setup, throttle response is very good and the PDK still upshifts fast when you don't press the throttle too much.

To be frank: I can hardly find something "serious" to criticize on this car. My first 911 Turbo (996) didn't have enough power. My second 911 Turbo (997) had lots of understeer and even more oversteer, it was like driving a 911 Carrera with way too much power. Now the new 991 Turbo S feels like a more comfortable GT3 with huge power and no apparent performance flaws at all. Yes, more power is always nice of course but trust me, you won't really feel the need for more power once you drive it. Unless you plan to do drag racing runs vs. other direct competitors. Smiley

I'm curious to hear some opinions after some testdrives of other people.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S, Cayenne GTS (958), BMW X3 35d (2013)