MKSGR:
RC:
moo:

...likely decision time on whether 960 or not?

When my 991 Turbo S lease ends in three years, I will go for the facelift or maybe a 991 GT2 RS (if available) if the Turbo S was too tame. I doubt I will go for the 960 for various reasons, mostly because it would attract too much attention (I have seen an early development sketch and if this is accurate, the car looks too much like an exotic for me). 

You cite the reasons, based on my perspective, why there will never be a 960. There won't be enough buyers, I belive.

I heard that there is still some "resistance" at VW Group management regarding a 960 project, maybe because it could hurt Lamborghini Cabrera and Audi R8 sales (and it would for sure). From my point of view, a GT2 RS would make more sense...and a GT Coupe based on the next Panamera platform, some sort of 928 successor. I know many Panamera buyers who would actually prefer a 2-door instead of a 4-door car.

The problem of a GT2 RS would be: What engine to use? The next gen 911 engine is still at least 3-4 years away (development) and the current turbo engine is at it's power limit. Another problem would be PDK: Apparently ZF cannot deliver a PDK version which withstands much more torque. So the GT2 RS would have to be limited in torque output somehow. Not easy for developers.

I do not pretend to know it all, so maybe there will be an engine solution for a 991 GT2 RS but I highly doubt they would use the "old" Mezger engine for that purpose. So maybe we are in for a surprise, maybe the next gen turbo engine development is almost finished and maybe they are even going to use it in the 991 Turbo/Turbo S facelift. Who knows but everything I heard so far doesn't indicate that. Smiley

Surprise, surprise...I guess. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S (Sept. 2013), Cayenne GTS (958), BMW X3 35d (2013)