The fact that this article compares the driving experience to the F458 actually proves to me that the authors didn't understand the purpose (and customer base) of the 991 Turbo S. The 911 Turbo was always the technical masterpiece which achieved fantastic performance numbers without taking a sweat or making a big fuss out of it, this is a car for a more stealth sports car driving experience, for those who want to shine out of the crowd in a different way. I also explained why the 911 Turbo may appeal to certain customers who could afford a Ferrari but just cannot afford showing off in one. Ferrari is more for show, Porsche is more for driving. I know that many Ferrari owners may not agree with me but the Ferrari owners I met along the past years weren't exactly those who were driving their cars at the limit (they cannot be all that bad of a driver, can they? angry).

In my dream garage, at least one Ferrari would be there too (more likely the F12 than the 458) but in a not so perfect world, where I can only afford ONE car, I chose the 991 Turbo S for a reason.

The only thing the 991 Turbo S actually disappoints a little bit in my opinion is performance above 125 mph (200 kph), at least on paper (still hoping for under 10 seconds from 0-125 mph (200 kph). I expected more from Porsche (and surprisingly, some Porsche guys were surprised I was disappointed), especially looking at the MP4-12C but overall, I think that the 991 Turbo S is the 911 Turbo which was expected from Porsche. I am just worried that with new competitors coming along this year and next year, the 991 Turbo S will fall behind fast. I am also worried that the 20-40 hp power bump with the facelift in three years or so won't be enough either to cope with the competition. 

Why should I lie? I expected 600 hp for the Turbo S and 540 hp for the Turbo. This would have been a healthy power bump which, in conjunction with the new chassis and PTM, would have given the 991 Turbo S a healthy advantage over the competition. It didn't happen, for whatever reason.

As soon as I get my Turbo S, I will post a thorough review. If I don't like something, you will be the first to know.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S (Sept. 2013), Cayenne GTS (958), BMW X3 35d (2013)