TomSilver:
RC: The engine sound is a little bit disappointing if you compare it to the 991 Carrera S Porsche Sport Exhaust or any other sports car for that matter. 

I do not understand why Porsche does not want the Turbo to have a more emotional sound. I have a 991S and I like the sound, but it is nothing compared to a Ferrari. My daily driver  is a Panamera GTS  and I am enjoying every mile with it. I would die for a 911 with that kind of sound quality. 

Sound is for me a major part of the driving experience. Will I pay 200k for a 911 with the typical muted Turbo sound? No. It can be faster than light, I would not buy it. 

Are you sure that there is no sport exhaust option?

It is not possible because of the VTG chargers, not that they don't want it. They seem to have issues getting it certified and if you wonder why tuners can, the answer is simple: They do not have the same legal requirements like car manufacturers. Why didn't Porsche forget about the VTG chargers then? Well...they have huge advantages and Porsche really has now a lot of experience with them, the turbo lag is practically non-existent and it would be a pity to throw this all away.

Yes, aftermarket exhausts will still sound OK and no, Porsche will not offer a sport exhaust option. Sorry.

Also, it is my understanding that most Turbo customers (not me for sure) seem to prefer a more decent sound.

However, the sound of the new 991 Turbo S has been greatly improved vs. the 997 Turbo S sound and while it may not sound like the typical sport exhaust sound of the 991 Carrera and/or competition, it is a very loud and special sound. Also, in the upper rev range, the whining/hauling sound is quite nice and loud, everything more would be quite uncomfortable (not that I wouldn't like it).

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S (Sept. 2013), Cayenne GTS (958), BMW X3 35d (2013)