RC:
Conrad2:

Another terrific summary of what I have rattled on at length about.  It took me about 10 days with my 991S to be totally bored with it and to ship it back to dealer.

Keep in mind that I have a Panamera Turbo S and a pretty fast one (one of seven cars modified by Porsche during the "titan" impeller disaster, to be able to ship them) and while I am really happy with handling and performance, it doesn't even come close to the 991 Carrera S and Carrera S Cab models I have driven along the way.

Sorry but you like the Panamera Turbo but you feel bored with the 991 Carrera S? Something doesn't smell right.

If you are talking straight line performance, this is a different story but handling-wise and steering-wise, the 991 Carrera S is more fun than the Panamera.

RC,

Sorry if I came across as saying Panamera Turbo is as fun or as good handling as 991S because I certainly didn't mean to imply that.  I think the Panamera sets a new benchmark for its class of car and the handling/performance for its weight is amazing, but it sure can't properly perform the dual role of sports sedan and sports car for sure which is why I have both.

So when I say I felt bored with the 991S please don't think I am some kind of troll taking shots at Porsche.  I love the company and have been a life long fan and owner of at least a dozen of their cars (honestly have lost count).  When the 991 first showed up I immediately went down for a quick test drive and still remember my salesman acting slightly different - selling a little too hard, pushing me into only having it in sport plus mode - just a number of little things.  He didn't have one to sell me at that point, but a short time later did I did run one down and had it shipped in. 

I won't repeat all I have said before, but in summary, it's a beautifully built car that runs extremely smoothly with the best PDK ever and which after 10 days I found boring because it was lacking too many of the 911 cues I love and to me looks like my Panamera inside. 

To finish my dealer story, I learned later from a guy in the back room of the dealership, that talk of the 991 looking like a small Panamera was running rampant internal to the dealer.  I firmly believe that is why he was nervous that day.  I was rushed the day I drove it and should have gone back for more time in it but just couldn't wait to do a deal and get one so I made an expensive mistake.  Cars are very emotional things for people like us and we are going to react differently to different things.  But I am being completely sincere and honest when I say I walked out to my 991 that 10th day and thought to myself that none of the anticipation and mild level of excitement I had always felt walking up to my 911's was there.