The McLaren MP4-12C is quite an offer but like I said in the past, it is a car for a completely different customer group in my opinion. Those considering the McLaren are very likely extroverted people who don't care if they attract too much attention or actually want to attract attention. A McLaren is a no-go in my neighborhood and my social environment over here in Germany, I could then get an Aventador or a 458 too, it doesn't matter.

The 911 Turbo always had some sort of a special standing over here in Germany (I cannot talk about the rest of the world but it is my understanding that it is similar here and there, especially in Europe): It is the Porsche 911 super sports car but without an exterior which screams "here I come, look at me". This means a lot over here and many use the 911 Turbo as a business car or at least it is registered on a company. A 911, the tax office kind of accepts but a Ferrari or McLaren? Well...questions are asked, doubts are made and I remember my tax advisor telling me a story about a former colleague he went to dinner with, a guy who he worked at the tax investigation unit with. This guy told him that recently, he denied the acceptance of a certain Ferrari (don't know the type) for a business man as a company car because and I quote this guy "he pays over 3000 EUR for the lease per month, this is the same money I make in my job". A Porsche is less offensive, it attracts attention but it is not the exotic a Ferrari, Lamborghini or even McLaren is. So why this may be a problem for those who want to stand out from the crowd, for me and many other people, this is actually a huge advantage.

Speaking of Turbo S and MP4-12C: The McLaren has no back seats, no AWD, no close by service centers. These things alone make the McLaren a no-go for me plus all the stuff I wrote before. This is valid for most Turbo S customers I know, nobody would actually consider a McLaren instead. The McLaren is actually the choice between a Gallardo or a 458. I would however always choose the F12 instead, just my personal preference.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche Panamera Turbo S, Cayenne GTS (958), 991 Turbo S (Oct. 5th), BMW X3 35d (2013)