Budster:

Interesting comment in this month's Evo about Ferraris being designed on a track with an average speed of 79mph, with Porsches (and VWs) using the Nurburgring, with an average of 100mph.  The point being that they end up with long gear ratios, which aren't as much fun in the real world where you end up generally only getting to near the red line in 1st gear.

Even with someone with the basic knowledge I have (compared to many RTers), that seemed to make a lot of sense.  Any views on this?

--

Porsche Carrera GTS (2012); Porsche Cayenne Diesel (2012)

The high gearing on the manual GT models seems only appropriate for Autobahn driving, the 997GT2 (with slightly higher limiter through tuning)  hits 183kph/114mph in 3rd gear !!

I like changing gear, wringing out to the red line is one of the best feelings in driving for me, thankfully the old Porsche  boxes and drive trains can be modified using parts from the racing programs.

I have a 9:35 ring and pinion so even in the UK I get to red line in second and third and still be in stay out of jail territory Smiley 

--

3.9  GT2 2011 make over