RC:
wedouglas:

RC, if I were you I'd just wait like a year if possible. I'm not sure how bad you want a very specific spec, but I think the used prices will be much more attractive after the first year. 991's have just gone up way too high in price and I think there are gonna be some big depreciation. I see a $145K C4S on ebay right now. That's more than a 2012 TTS cabrio! 

Take that $200K and just buy some more BAC and AIG. In a year, you'll not only get a way better deal, but you may also have seen a nice gain ;)

Unless money is of no concern, I think it's just really hard to rationalize buying new these days. 991 prices have severely outpaced inflation and I think depreciation could be significant even in year 1.

Money of course is of concern but I lease my cars and leasing a used car usually costs me more than leasing a new one. Yes, there is going to be a depreciation, maybe even a huge one but the lease offer I got is quite OK (not amazing though) and if my dealer agrees in lowering the initial payment a little bit, I'm in. I plan to lease it for four years, maybe five years and after that, I don't care anymore. Of course I could buy the car and probably "save" 20-30k EUR on the long run (4-5 years) but this means that I would need to put 120k EUR more on the table right now. 120k I can use for buying BAC and AIG and whatever. Smiley

The reason I lease my cars? Simple: I cannot buy such an expensive car for my company, the IRS wouldn't accept it. If I buy it privately, I "loose" the 19% VAT, which would render the car practically unsaleable in Germany. By leasing the car, I have the following advantages: The car keeps the VAT, so the dealer is open to new deals whenever I want. The car looses it's value but I couldn't care less since I have a mileage lease, not a remaining value lease. I keep half of the money for investments or whatever, in 4-5 years, I usually double it (no kidding). Let's get a serious energy crisis on our hands or another economic crisis and such a car becomes unsaleable at that time. I remember how many people in Germany offered used Ferraris and other precious cars in 2008/2009 and even 2010, at pretty low prices and nobody wanted to buy them.  I do not have this risk. I lease the car, I drive it for four years, maximum 40000 km and I return it to the dealer, no questions asked, no strings attached, bye bye. For me, this is a huge advantage.

I had a temptation to actually get a 997 Turbo Cab (because my wife wants a Cab) but I decided to be very egoistic and go for the latest 991 Turbo S Coupe. This is going to be my car only, my choice only, nobody got mixed up in this decision. I also considered the new 991 GT3 but while it may be a fantastic car and fun to drive, the 991 Turbo S is the much better daily driver and Autobahn car. In speed limited countries, I would probably choose the GT3 instead but I cannot ignore the fact that I love driving fast too and the 991 Turbo S is clearly the winner here. 0-300 kph difference between the GT3 and the new 991 Turbo S is rumored to be almost 10 seconds (34 seconds for the 991 Turbo S according to rumors), so go figure.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche Panamera Turbo S, Cayenne GTS (958), BMW X3 35d (2012), Mini Cooper S Countryman All4

0-300 for 34 secs for 991 Turbo S is way too slow - 

i think 997 Turbo S was about this figure...