artur777:
RC:
artur777:

I have read at another forum that 991 Turbo S managed to lap the NBR for 7:26, previous model was 7:32.

good news that it's faster than MP4-12C and CGT

bad news that itmismstill slower than GTR and GT2RS, as well as ZR1 and Aventador.

hope this time will be improved later:)

The Nissan GT-R with 530 hp (previous generation) did the Nordschleife in 7:36 min. Impressive? Yes. As good as Nissan claimed ("under" 7:20)? No. While the Nissan GT-R did 0-100 kph in 3.3 seconds, the 0-200 kph time was quite disappointing, 11.5 seconds. There are a couple of YouTube videos showing the 997 Turbo S and the Nissan GT-R head to head and the Turbo S always wins as soon as the speed increases.

The latest Nissan GT-R has been tested in Hockenheim only and while the time is impressive for such a heavy car (1:10,1 min), the GT3 RS 4.0 is still better.  Btw: The "old" 530 hp version did Hockenheim 0.1 seconds faster. Smiley Speaking of straight line acceleration: The latest GT-R did 0-100 kph in 3.4 seconds, again 0.1 seconds slower than the previous model. Factory claim? 2.7 seconds. Ridiculous. Keep in mind that both were Nissan factory cars specifically put at the disposition of Sport Auto and again, manufacturers know that Sport Auto is doing dyno tests of test cars.

The previous 997 Turbo S did the Nordschleife in 7:44 min, not 7:32. We are talking Sport Auto test figures here, not manufacturer claims (not ware though that Porsche ever claimed 7:32 for the 997 Turbo S but I may be wrong).

The Ferrari 458 Italia did the Nordschleife in 7:38 min, 0-100 kph in 3.5 seconds and 0-200 kph in 10.6 seconds. These times were much better in other reviews but keep in mind that Ferrari knows that Sport Auto is doing dyno tests of test cars. Smiley Ferrari didn't complain about these figures, so I guess everything was OK.

This video actually proves very well that the previous 997 Turbo S and the Ferrari 458 actually had the same straight line performance. The 997 Turbo S gets away a little bit better from stand still due to the AWD but the distance between both cars stays practically the same all the way down until the finish, so I doubt that any 458 can do 0-200 kph in under 10 seconds...oh well...maybe in reviews. Smiley

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSHL5_yIvII

The Aventador did 7:25 in the Supertest, which is quite impressive. I'd say that HvS will manage to do under 7:30 in the 991 Turbo S on the Nordschleife but this guess is only based on a discussion about the time Porsche achieved with the stock car on the Nordschleife during final testing. It could be 7:32, it could be 7:29 but something around these numbers.

The MP4-12C did 7:28, which is quite impressive too but McLaren was apparently afraid of delivering a more powerful car for the test (Sport Auto started to dyno the cars they test to make sure that manufacturers do not cheat) because the 0-100 kph time was 3.4 seconds and 0-200 kph was 9.8 seconds. The 991 Turbo S will easily beat the first time and rumors indicate that the Turbo S actually does 0-200 kph in 10 seconds flat oder maybe even a couple of hundreds of a millisecond below that, which would be confirmed by the fact that the previous 997 Turbo S usually did the 0-200 kph run in slightly over 10 seconds, 10.6 was the worst I've ever seen in a review over here, the 0-100 kph time was always 3.1 to 3.2 seconds.

To get the times we are talking about here in a better perspective, just keep in mind what time the fantastic 997 GT3 RS 4.0 did on the Nordschleife: 7:30. So the 991 Turbo S is faster...with only 60 horses more but a 250kg weight "penalty". Smiley

Don't get me wrong, I know that the new 991 GT3 would still be the better track car (similar track performance but much lighter and thus much more likely to withstand more than a couple of fast runs without any brake/tire issues) but for a "GT" like many call the 911 Turbo, this isn't bad at all, don't you think?!

Just for a fun comparison: The Aston Martin DBS did the Nordschleife in 8:02 min, the Jaguar XKR-S in 8:03 min. This clearly proves that the 991 Turbo S plays in a completely different "GT" league. Smiley

That said, I think that the new 991 Turbo S will rock but why should I lie? I am a little bit disappointed that Porsche didn't shock the competition with a 0-100 kph time of 2.6 seconds and a 0-200 kph time of 9.5 seconds claim. Maybe Porsche was afraid that this would look bad in car reports outside the usual car magazine pool or maybe they are quite conservative with their factory claims, at least this is what I heard and I really hope it is true. For the benefit of Porsche and of course for my benefit, if I decide to go for the 991 Turbo S. Smiley

Christian, veryy interesting! I agree that NBR time below 7-30 will be very good result for a GT car!

Also I agree that 997.2 Turbo S managed to run from 0-100 for 3.0-3.2 secs and 0-200 from 10.0-10.5 secs. Really it was always faster than claimed by Porsche (0-100 for 3.4 secs, 0-200 for 11 secs)

Thus, new 991 Turbo S could be really faster than claimed. I expect 0-100 time about 2.8-2.9 secs and 0-200 time about 9.6-9.8 secs. Do you agree?

++++++++++++++++++++++++

This discussion around Nordschleife times is irrelevant.  Nordschleife times fascinate the crowds.  It is entertaining.  It is interesting, in theory.  But what for?

We should have a poll and see how many of us have actually driven a fully road-legal Porsche (or another fully road-legal car) on the Nordschleife under 8:00 or even under 8:30.  I will not even mention going under 7:30 with any road-legal car as I am sure no one on this forum has ever done it.  It is like trying to go and climb the K2 running.  You may be thrilled at the thought, but will never make it or never come back alive.  Going that fast on the loop is insane for anyone other than a pro driver with a lot of experience of that particular track.  More than insane, as a matter of fact, I believe it cannot be done.

So let us take this poll and then get back to a more useful and rational discussion on points which actually matter for the Porsche road-legal sports cars buyers and drivers.

Cheers.