Ziggy:

By the way Rossi, what do you think of the 991 Turbo / Turbo S? Always interested in your opinion. Smiley

Thanks Ziggy. Funny enough, I just saw the new Turbo on the street this weekend, when I came back from a F-type testdrive. Well, I wasn't that impressed, but the car had still the camouflage on, so I'll wait till I have seen the real deal.

Judging from the pics of the 991 Turbo/Turbo S, I have some mixed emotions about the new car. Brilliant engineering aside and I'm sure it will be devastatingly quick and a fanstastic drive, I think Porsche tried a bit too hard with the design of the new model.
Let's not talk about the Panamera interior, you like it or you don't, but surely you can live with it. At least I could. But the exterior is a different story. The basic 991 shape is a successful evolution or let's say modernisation of the classic 991 theme. But in case of the new Turbo Porsche failed at the details.
Let's start with the front. Porsche did right, to widen up the air inlets, but why do the new DRL units not fill the whole upper air intake? Why do they have this upward bend? Looks wrong IMO. Moreover these DRL look like taken from the Panamera pre-facelift, which doesn't look good either. Then there is that cheap looking plastic insert with the parking sensors, but only in case of the Turbo S, standard Turbo looks better here. But both share this front lip with this silly Turbo lettering. I mean who in the world needs a "Turbo" or "Turbo S" in this spot?
So let's have a look at the side. We see a new air inlet, but is it any better than the much criticised inlet of the 997 Turbo? Not sure about this. The shape may be better than that of the predecessor, but the black plastic is just too visible inside. If you want to know how an air inlet is done right, take a look at the 993 Turbo S or any Ferrari. And ironically the air outlets of the rear bumper now feature a black fin (which looks good), whereas the side air inlets don't. That's why these two openings at close quarters don't go together well.
Finally the rear. I like the slits of the engine lid and the look of the Turbo wing. What I don't like is the - again - silly new lettering at the back. "PORSCHE 911 Turbo S" is just too much for me, in fact this would be the first car I would order without the model designation, since the "PORSCHE" is more than enough IMO. The air outlets are okay, but I absolutely hate these hideous exhaust tips, which look like a cheap stereotype of an awful AMG rear. No, no and no once again. How much better the rear would look with rounded exhaust tips can be seen in SCG's photoshop.

So in summary again judging from the pics, the new model has many details I don't like. Yes, I'm talking about details, but at least to me these details ruin the harmonious lines of the 991.

Last but not least, I also think that the car has become too wide with 1.88m. This is 5 cm short of a 458 and only 2 cm short of a R8. Yes, it will look impressive on the street, but in the end this is still a 911 and not a V8-midengined sports car. Smiley

--

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.