Regarding Porsche's "clinical" marketing and approach, i have to constantly remind myself that Porsche produces, manages and markets at least sixteen different models.  McLaren markets two (P1 and MP4 12C), and Ferrari five (FF, California, 458, Berlinetta and La Ferrari).  That difference is HUGE, and requires numerous different marketing schemes which must "sell" models with characteristics that are often quite simllar (an S versus a non-S, for example).  On top of all of this is the brand of German engineering and daily practicality, which I think is tremendously important.

So one can understandably "forgive" Porsche for being precise and lacking "emotion".   But that overall image also presents a marketing opportunity by contrasting cool precision with stunning design, innovation and performance.  And that is why the 918 and the CarreraGT are so important.  Important for their design, their leading hybrid performance, and their unsurpassed racing heritage.  

And onto my bias that Porsche needs more women at the top and throughout, there is little doubt that part of Ferrari's appeal is its sexiness.  The designs have sex appeal, and like it or not sex sells.  Reds, yellows, sensuous curves--these evoke emotion and sensuality.  The Porsche stand was populated by men in conservative suits, the Ferrari stand was awash with beautiful women in evocative clothes.  I don't want to overdo this comparison, but there is something a bit out of balance at Porsche if the only feminine appealing car is the Boxster.