Hi Ferdie,

I agree that both gained some advantage, but Vettel gained much more, this was no particular corner, it was a hairpin  type corner and by opening up the steering coming out of the turn and going on the ouside of the track which was not slippery, he was able to accelerate much faster than Button who had to drop his speed much more to trace the hairpin and lost some additional traction with a bit oversteer.

I guarantee you if there were slippper grass or sticky gravel on the outside of that corner, Vettel would have never gone on the outside and would of simply lifted the throttle midcorner and follwed right behind Button on the exit of the corner. He knew he could safely go ouside the track there and accelerate WOT there and he used it for an advantage.

I guess you have to cross the line somewere and this is a very clear cut place to do it for rule clarity, if the overtake maneuver occurs with all four wheel outside the track, its illegal. Its like cutting the chicane in Monaco vs simply grabbing the inside line into the corner and having to go half car inside the curve because the outside driver closes the door too much.

I don't understand why  the team did not tell Vettel inmediately to give up his position and try another overtake, he had time to do it still given Button's tires  

Also I can understand Vettel in the heat of the moment making a bad call like that the split second you have to make it, everybody is human. But what I criticise is how inspite being inmediately clear afterwards that it was a mistake and an unfair overtake, he did not correct it afterwards, went on to the finish line, stripped Button of his second place podium celebration and the icing on the cake is outright lying afterwords to try to cover it up and get away with it ("Button didn't complain" "I went on the slippery blue paint" "I didn't know were he was" etc). Shameful behaviour.

--