RC:

The next generation Panamera will be at least 100 kg lighter because it will be based on a completely different platform. I see only one possible issue here: Handling. The current Panamera has been a 100% Porsche development, they built it from scratch to allow that amazing handling for such a big and heavy car. Not sure if the next generation platform will not limit Porsche in the handling department. I truly hope not.

I am also a little bit worried about V8 engine development, to be honest. Why? Well: The Turbo S engine of the Panamera uses the titan impeller turbo chargers which apparently have their production/quality issues. For a manufacturer like Porsche, it should be pretty easy to modify the V8 4.8 l engine in a way to be able to use conventional turbo chargers and still get 550 hp or even 600 hp out of it without a major sweat. Apparently, this doesn't and didn't happen, so I really ask myself...why? Is it about certification (they can't just change the engine, the need to certify it afterwards for street legal usage) or about durability? Is the 4.8 l turbo engine at it's power end? I highly doubt that, some tuners squeeze over 650 and even 700 horses out of the same engine.

Interesting times ahead but I have to confess that I am very very excited about the next generation Turbo (991 Turbo). 

I think that the point with turbo is not in power output. I am not an engine guru but maybe they use titan because there is a very high temperature for conventional materials or maybe because titan is mich lighter it let them to improve throttle response? 

Actually I haven't driven such expensive cars, so this is my guess)

--

sportcars-history.com