RC:

I am curious how Porsche's sports car strategy will work out for them over the next couple of years since they are responsible for sports car development within VAG.

Yes this will be very interesting (BTW I agree with the rest of your post too). This is one of the reasons that I say they need to break out of the glass roof that they placed over themselves by having the 911 as the sacred model.

Porsche has tried in the past to kill off (move away- for those that will take exception to my phraseology)  the 911 with disastrous results.  This has made them petrified to even broach the subject. They need to get over it. They need to understand that time has moved on. The competition has moved on. Today is not the same as yesterday. Don't try substitute the 911 with a front engined sports car. Don't even try and substitute the 911. It has its place in the Porsche product portfolio, but they must create room for the portfolio to expand upwards (in price and performance). The 911 should not serve any longer as a self imposed glass ceiling.