Joost:
sfo:

live by your means, not by the image you are trying to project. Lotus does not have the resources of the big boys, and should not act like one.

Sounds like a most sensible advise ... Smiley

That's great advice for individuals (its why I waited until my mid 40's to buy my first Porsche for cash (OK, 2 Porsches - I got carried away...), but luxury goods brands are selling an aspirational lifestyle and part of that plan is often employing a high profile CEO that projects the brand.  Dany isn't a bad looking guy (not as good looking as me of course) and he projects an aspirational "James Bond" character to the man in the street (whereas we know the full story)... 

Just like the Sage of Omaha might give people a sense of conservatism for their pension savings by staying in the same house for 50-odd years and driving a basic car, the Bransons and the Trumps are part of their brand and are an important part of the marketing aspect of it.  It's high risk, and not cheap, and I'm not suggesting that Dany is a Branson, but I have no doubt that the strategy was to position him in that type of role going forward.  That his personality is such that he'd was happy to accept it was a bonus.

I think Lotus does need this, or else it will be (increasingly) another TVR.  The engineering deserves more: and marketing the image has to be a part of it.

Until of course, it all goes horribly wrong...  It's a high-stakes game when you make sportscars...

--

Porsche Carrera GTS (2012); Porsche Cayenne Diesel (2012)