I finally had a chance to drive the 991 today, very belatedly I know!

I will try to summarize my impressions as a long time Porsche fan and driver and as a 997.2 Carrera S PDK owner.

First of all, the car was a 3.4 L, 350PS, PDK Carrera with very basic specification. It was specified according to the Euro debt-crisis mood Smiley

No SC, PASM, PSE, LSD and basic  19” wheels with Goodyear tyres. The car had full leather however, which I would sacrifice and add some driving related option.

I drove the car for 1 hour and I chose a route that I know very well for valid comparison. The roads were dry and temperature at 25 C.

The appearance of the car was very nice in Platin Silber with Grey interior. The seats although basic were better than the basic seats in 997.2 and the height adjustment is now electric as standard which is very convenient. The driving position is excellent. The ambiance inside is top class IMO, with the right blend of sportiness with some luxury. I liked the centre console very much.

The engine sound is very exciting as you increase the revs. Much nicer than the 997.2 with PSE. However, once you settle into a steady cruise in 7th gear the sound becomes subdued and unobtrusive for a relaxed trip.

The engine needs revs. It doesn’t pull from low down like the my car's 3.8 L. This revy character makes the car feel more sporty even at lower speeds but personally I missed the low end pull of my present engine.

The PDK is also improved in smoothness and response with a more pronounced blip on downchanges.

The chassis of the car with steel suspension and 19” wheels was superb. Very comfortable and composed without losing anything in terms of handling precision and finesse. Grip in the dry and warm at least, was very strong. You can cruise in greater comfort compared to the 997.2 but at the same time once you decide to push the cars handles anything with great finesse and accuracy. A sportscar with GT characteristics, but still a pure sportscar.

I could do the same road speed at various key points of my route as in my 997.2, in spite of the 35PS deficiency. Only more revs were needed. The same speeds were achieved with a more natural handling balance from the 991 and without the greater preparation of setting the car up for a high speed bend that is necessary in the 997.2.

The steering (without the PS Plus option) is excellent IMO. It is very precise with the essential feel without becoming tiring on less than perfect surfaces. I agree with what Porsche engineers had to say, that they have filtered out all unnecessary noise from the steering system but have kept all the essential feel. To be honest I cannot understand what all the fuss in the Press was about the new e-steering!

An uphill bend I take at around 170km/h in the 997.2 but with much concentration and sometimes not so elegantly, in the 991 I drove as if on rails and I slalomed in order to pass between two preceding cars in the process. So simple and so smooth.

For people who drive in speed limited countries and use the car in their daily life, often being obliged to drive at relatively low speeds, I found the basic Carrera a very good choice at a lower price (and less taxes in high tax countries), compared to the Carrera S.

I wouldn’t specify full leather and the sunroof that was fitted to the test car, and go for PASM and LSD instead. The START/STOP was a nuisance but it can be deactivated. Also I couldn’t figure out the “sailing/segeln” mode since I was pushing most of the time.

Would I accept the depreciation for my 3+ year old 997.2 and change to the improved 991? In an ideal world yes!  In the present economic climate, for me the marginal benefits from the new car don’t justify the extra expenditure as yet. Perhaps when the 991.2 comes!

--

"Form follows function"