RC:
PureBlue:

Exactly.  Equating GT3 buyers with Turbo S buyers is missing the point, as these are two entirely different groups of customers, with contrasting interests and requirements.

Yes and no. I know many people who would be in the market for the GT3 or the Turbo at the same time but unfortunately life isn't always black and white and decisions have to be made.

The GT3 doesn't offer rear seats, which is a problem for many family fathers and the Turbo on the other hand, is less involving in a way or another. To say that interested customers have contrasting interests and requirements isn't quite right but acceptable, while calling the customers two entirely different groups is just plain wrong. I would buy both at the same time if I could afford it.

That may be your view (which is fine), but it's not mine - and I can't think of many knowledgable Porsche enthusiasts who would regard the GT3 and Turbo as interchangable.  Speaking personally, I would love to own a GT3 (and it will probably be my next 911), but I have no interest in owning a Turbo.

For me, there are some fundamental differences.  As a track-biased car, the GT3 is a true driver's car, hard-core, focused and uncompromising - while the Turbo's set-up, trim level and specs make it more of a luxurious GT cruiser.  Undoubtedly, the Turbo is a blisteringly fast car and an absolute blast to pilot across-country on an unrestricted autobahn, but I couldn't imagine choosing it over a GT3 for a track day or an involving drive on a twisty mountain road.  There's a reason why Porsche homologates the GT3 for racing, not the Turbo.  It's about horses for courses.

So, while I think both are superb cars, I think it is fair to say that they appeal to two different groups of customers.  If you want a true, involving driver's car, great on road and track, with few concessions to creature comforts - you buy a GT3.  If you want a great GT car, with stunning levels of speed and acceleration, but still comfortable and luxurious, you buy a Turbo.

In my personal view, this is also what makes a manual transmission the best choice for a GT3, but PDK a logical choice for the Turbo.  We can agree to disagree on this.