dxpetrov:

That was the initial assumption, which had been  declined recently and now the word (latest info from George Karcher) is actually that the R8 mk.3 will be based on Porsche's MSQ platform (961?) as the current R8 replacement is already in late stages of its design. Porsche have won the rights for all future VW sport platforms and big luxury sedans.

This is correct and exactly what I meant, although I re-read my post and I understand that there might have been some confusion when I mentioned the next Gallardo/R8 platform. All these cars will be based on the Porsche platform.

As to the Panamera Coupe (which could be considered a 928 successor): I agree, a rushed Panamera Coupe knock-off, may not have been the answer. The next generation Panamera/Bentley GT/A8 platform is also prepared for a Coupe version as far as I heard. Unless of course they decide to use a different platform, which wouldn't make sense though. A smaller Panamera is expected too but if Porsche builds a coupe, it will be based on the next generaration Panamera and not on a smaller sedan from Porsche.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche Panamera Turbo S (April 2012 delivery), Porsche 997 Carrera GTS Cabriolet PDK, BMW X5M, Mercedes C63 AMG Coupe PP/DP, Mini Cooper S Countryman All4