reginos:

Can you please comment on the X5M brakes compared to your previous Cayenne Turbo?

Below par brakes (for the class of vehicle they compete in) has been a BMW M Division weakness for many years now. The new M5 is not unaffected according to the Autocar test.

The X5M is actually an awesome car, why should I lie ? I'm a diehard Porsche fan but I really liked this high performance SUV a lot, it feels and drives very sporty and the amount of money I saved by not going for a Cayenne Turbo instead is really substantial. If my wife would actually like this car, I would buy it from BMW when the lease ends next year in April. Unfortunately my wife wants something smaller and with a lower fuel consumption, so the X5M isn't really the right SUV for her. It will be very likely replaced by a Cayenne or Cajun Diesel.

The X5M brakes are good but not what I would call Porsche "class". On hot days, driving with full load (family, luggage), the brake starts to fade, especially after a couple of high speed runs on the Autobahn. Still...pretty impressive for a SUV and for a BMW. My wife's M3 Cab is much worse in that domain (BMW apparently forgot to adapt the M3 Cab brake to the additional 200 kg of weight Smiley).

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 997 Carrera GTS Cabriolet PDK, BMW X5M, BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S Countryman All4