RC:

I was a manual guy too...not anymore. Surprisingly, it started with the Tiptronic S on my 997 Turbo but I'm a real sucker for PDK now and nobody will ever change that. Manual doesn't make sense anymore, even the race car industry understood, so why don't you ?! 

Being able to keep both hands on the steering wheel while doing crazy stuff beats manual by a long shot.

I bet you that the next 911 generation won't have a real manual anymore... indecision

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 997 Carrera GTS Cabriolet PDK, BMW X5M, BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S Countryman All4

RC, I seem to remember you slurping the Porsche Kool Aid when the 997tt was being developed and launched and you were told by insiders that the Tiptronic S was THE set up to get for the 997tt since it worked perfectly with the electronics of the new 997tt and it was perfect for that car. After reading your "inside knowledge" I recommended a friend to get the Auto box and he still has his '08 Tip S 997tt he has never liked the auto box and likes to remind me he bought it on my recommendation, it is just like any other auto and if you don't like autos that box will not change your mind.....

I personally cannot get on with PDK, yes I can see its benefits but a fair chunk of driving pleasure for me is using the clutch and gearbox. One silly thing one can't do with any of the PDK boxes is cruise along in say 4th gear at say 50kph and as a derestricted sign looms slot it qucikly into 2nd gear and blast away on maximum attack, the PDKs have to clunk their way through and I hate all the waiting for a computer to do it all for you....

Having said all that the launch control on these PDK cars is something to behold, first time I used it properly on my Nissan GTR 2011 it had my passenger and I laughing out loud, 0-100kph in 3s is an hilarious experience Smiley

--

3.9  GT2 2011 make over