I had a 991 Carrera S PDK for 90 minutes today.

The weather was not great,  with some wet rods and as I got the car at 15:45, there was the end of day traffic.

DSCN0878.JPG

I am not going to comment too much about the exterior look, exept that I do find the front pumper/intakes/blinkers to be a flaw in the design . No harmony, unnecessary gimmick ( the black plastic that is towards the center of the car in front intakes ) , and the blinkers still would fit better a lexus then a Porsche. The line that goes to the outside after the blinkers is also not my taste and does not suit the car to me . I bet the 991.2 will fix this , just as it did with 997.1 to 997.2

Here is a comparaison:

DSCN0869.JPG

DSCN0871.JPG

The new shape of the lights is nice.

DSCN0872.JPG

As to the inside, it is nice and feels more luxurious  and spacious , but I am still not a fan of the big central tunnel. I do find it intrusive . The PDK gear lever does also hide some of the buttons, as it is now so high. As RC has said, Porsche should make a smaller and more sporty looking lever. I bet this will also be a new option on 991.2

The back is also a bit too tamed to me, maybe with the ducktail option the car will look more sporty.

DSCN0882.JPG

DSCN0881.JPG

Now the driving impressions :

The car feels immediately more ' luxurious' as the chassis/suspensions filters all bumps  and roads joints/holes ...whatever.  I was driving the car mainly in sports mode with the suspension setting in hard , and that was still much softer ( or should I better say , more comfortable ) then normal PASM mode on my 997 with sport chassis.

I tried the car on very bumpy roads, where usually everything shakes and I have to hold tire on the steering wheel, but with the 991, nothing of this. The car stays in his line, and filters all the bumps.  A sporty driver might be a bit disappointed, but the wife will surely appreciate Smiley On the highway, it was extremely smooth.

DSCN0894.JPG

DSCN0891.JPG

The understeer has gone !!!!!!!!!!! That is now so different. One can enter tight corner with much greater speed then with the 997, and the car just rolls around the corner . Very nice ! Through round a bouts it is also so much faster.

The down part is that as one can enter with much more speed into the curb, the back tends to slide  also faster . ( It happened to me twice on the wet roads Smiley ) But generally the car is easier to drive fast , more confidence inspiring as the front feels planted , and generally all is more neutral. New customers will like that. The older ones might regret a bit that slow enter,  then waiting to have all the weight on the back wheels , feel it glued to the ground, and accelerate out of the curb.  But I was definitly felt I was faster with the 991 on the slippery roads then with the 997.

DSCN0885.JPG

DSCN0883.JPG

I forgot to mention the sound : it is now loud, and you can hear all the ' burps and grawl' when you lift the foot front he accelerator.  At some stage I did actually feel the sound was nearly too much , as you can hear the ' echo chamber' and that makes the sound nearly a bit artificial ( which it actually is )

DSCN0884.JPG

DSCN0886.JPG

The engine does pull better then in my 997.2 and feels more torkey , but that is not the main difference.

The brakes bite better .

The steering is still very precise, but is also very ' soft' and ' comfortable ' . You feel the road but you do not feel the rocks on the roads anymore. Again, new customers will love it, older ones might regret the steering of the 997.1  ( the 997.2 already lost some to the feed back )

The new PDK is faster and better tuned.

So, to me, generally, this car has not made me want to go and order it , as I did not feel I was gaining much compared to my 997.2 .

If you are looking for more stability, easier driving, more comfort, more ' luxurious' feel, and being faster at the same time, the this car is for you.

As I had anticipated....... I am looking for something more ' raw'  . I will not jump on the Carrera S 991, unless the car with all the sport options will feel different.

Otherwise I will wait for the GT3 to make my choice.

DSCN0889.JPG

DSCN0890.JPG

DSCN0893.JPG

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm