A tiny difference already makes a difference. N rated tires are perfected and optimized for certain Porsche models. There are so many factors which go into the equation, that engineer "itsme" mentioned was absolutely right.

Let me put it this way: The tire is the most important thing on a car, especially on a sports car. If you can't appreciate a good tire, then you may not care too much about driving at the limit. The fact that you had a good experience so far, doesn't say much. Either you never drove your car at the limit or you never had a comparison to a good (N-rated) tire.

I understand your argument about money but 5-10% more tire cost for a car which probably exceeds a 100k price tag, doesn't make much sense to me, sorry. 

My experience with tires, especially on Porsche cars, is extensive, I drove many different tires, incl. non-N rated tires and I can tell you that the difference is there, especially on wet pavement but also at the limit. It just makes a difference if a tire has been adapted to a certain weight distribution ratio or not.  Have you ever watched a slow motion movie of a  911 in sharp curves / turns ? Look at the rear part and at the tires, especially in the rear. Compare it to a car with front engine. 

Have you never wondered why in certain racing classes, the tires need to be the same size and manufacturer, sometimes even the same type and tire mixture ? Have you never wondered why certain cars are faster or "nastier" to drive on certain tires ? What you are implying with your claims is actually that all tires are the same or almost the same. The tire actually makes the difference.

I still wonder why the DWS isn't available in Germany, a country with no legal general speed limit ? Marketing ?! 

Forget about what people tell you at tirerack or whatever tire dealers you spoke to. 

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 997 Carrera GTS Cabriolet PDK, BMW X5M, BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S Countryman All4