Leawood911:

I would select the 991 without hesitation simply due to depreciation.  Unless you get a very good price on the GTS the 991 will not depreciate as quickly.  The 997 on the other hand will be seen as OLD regardless of how good it is and how unproven the 991 is.  It is very unlikely that we will see a 993 to 996 style transition to the 991 where the older car is regarded as better (by some).

just my 2 cents

Cars depreciate.  They are a lifestyle asset at best, an amortising expense in reality, and a liability at worse, but certainly not an investment.  

Some depreciate more than others, and more so when a new model comes in.  You may be right that the GTS will depreciate at say, 5 or 10% more than the 991 in the first year or 2, but it's only a relatively marginal disadvantage, and the pricing of the GTS is keen enough to offset much of that.  

You're getting an instant classic with the 997 GTS, with all the bells and whistles thrown in.  A car heralded by everyone as the best non-GT 997 ever, and the 997 will always be highly regarded, like the 993.  I don't think that the marginally worse depreciation should come into the purchase decision - there are so many more (albeit subjective) considerations to sway one's mind when you're considering the 2 cars.

Pureblue - Wendy reckons the cars might be ready this Friday, 26th....