Carlos from Spain:
SciFrog:
Gnil:
SciFrog:
What frustrations? The California has given me less hassles than the 3 last Porsches I have owned and at least whenever there is a problem with the car, it comes back fixed which has not been the case with the Porsches...

I owned a Boxster 20 years ago and a 911 convertible 15 years ago. Getting one again would be turning back, there are cars that provide much better ownership satisfaction. A standard GTS doesn't come close.

the frustrations I was mentioning is having a GT3 that you would only drive bellow 150 km/h in around a sub urban area .  The GT3 becomes really alive  above 5000 rpm , before that you only feel the ' potential ' and the extra noises and nervousness of the engine  . 

If you want a GT3 , not a GTS,  then having your California is not logique . The California is the Boxster . So , you should have a Speciale convertible to have the extra sensory experience you say you are looking for . 

But then, in flat and straight Florida, no real sports car makes sence . A good GT might be better .

--

964 Carrera 4 --  997.2 C2S , -20mm --  991 GT3 RS 

The attraction of the 911 line is that it can have rear seats and be convertible. The only real alternative to the California would be a convertible GT3 with rear seats. It is very logical. Two seater sport cars with a fixed roof? To do what with? The only good thing they can do is the track and even then I would much rather have a GT4 club sport for that like Nick.

To drive it of course! enjoy it like its designed for. Convertible is not necessarily better, its a matter of preference and use you are going to give it. If the 911 came cabrio as no cost standard, I would pay extra to get a coupe option/version for example. I do not like what comes along with the open top, it wouldn't be a plus for me, I want fixed roof.

But getting back to the GT3, if you add 200 pounds to make a GT3 convertible, decrease the chasis rigidity by taking the fixed roof off, and soften the suspensions so the chasis can handle it then you don't have a GT3 anymore, you have a "badge" to cruise open top along a boulevard. Porsche will never do that with a GT3, and does not cater to that market. For that use you will get the same experience from a GTS Cab than from that mongrel GT3, except  the sound now that they have gone Turbo.

Rear seats is a different matter since they have no drawbacks since the space is already there and the weight gain of the cushions and seatbelt supports, ect is negligible. But its a concept thing.

i very much agree to what you say but i am wondering how ferrari gets away with the 458 speciale spider version. never driven the car but it might be interesting to see how sell executed hardcore design and open top match.