Whoopsy:

Some die hard thinks M cars should only be with RWD, same with the manual trransmission. M had to waste tons of money and resources just to develop a manual transmission for the F10 M5 just for the US market as the Americans thinks it's a marcho thing to have.

Not only Americans...you should see the many comments on the official german M forum, especially after BMW decided to abandon the V10 engine.

The turbo charged V8 in my X5 M is a real treat (only sound is disappointing) and the automatic gearbox absolutely amazing and very fast. The perfect match for such a car and it wouldn't have been different with the M5.

Most people don't even believe when I tell them that this is an automatic gearbox. In "M Sport" mode, this gearbox shifts very hard, extremely fast and manual shifting is fun too. I have the DCT transmission in my wife's M3 Cab as a comparison.

The new M5 does 0-100 kph in 4.4 seconds. The Panamera Turbo S does 0-100 kph in 3.8 seconds, 0.6 seconds faster. This doesn't sound much but it is a huge difference. Despite the almost 200 kg additional weight of the Panamera Turbo S, the AWD seems to give the Panamera a huge traction advantage. 

You should experience my X5M from standstill...the acceleration is instant, amazing, same feel as the Panamera Turbo with Sport Chrono active. I doubt that the M5 is capable of that.

My X5 M does 0-100 kph in 4.6 seconds (review), only 0.2 seconds slower than the M5. The M5 weights almost  half a ton (!) less than my X5 M. Sorry but without AWD, the M5 is a joke. I have the same opinion about the latest Mercedes E63 AMG with Performance Package. Amazing power output, 0-200 kph in 12.7 seconds (faster than the Panamera Turbo S) but only if you are lucky enough to be able to put the power on the ground. Without AWD, these sporty sedans are useless or only fun if you want to burn some rubber (drifting).

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 997 Carrera GTS Cabriolet PDK, BMW X5M, BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S Countryman All4