One needs to keep in mind that Porsche feels very threatened by the Greens in their home country.  All their product engineers and most of their development people live in Germany and feel the social pressures that come with being there.  They are bound to calculate the importance (political impact) of energy savings at a different rate irrespective of their personal feelings about the matter.

I got used to the engine start/stop feature in my kids' Honda Civic Hybrid.  At first, it seemed like the engine had died unexpectedly, but with experience I kind of looked forward the engine saving gas at a traffic signal.  It was just fine except for the fact that the Honda's air conditioning compressor was driven by the engine and during long stops in the summer the car became uncomfortable.

In my Panamera, all the important functions are electrically driven so the engine stopping doesn't affect my comfort at all.  The only reason for me not to use the feature is that the engine restart draws enough current from the electrical system that it produces a momentary brown-out of the 12 volt supply to my radar detector which cycles the start-up sequence.  That's very annoying, but we're about to release a brown-out-booster to cure the problem once and for all.

In sum, start/stop on a 911 wouldn't really bother me for use in stop and go traffic and it wouldn't activate during spirited driving anyway.  What's not to like except change?

--

Mike

2005 Carrera GT + 2008 Tesla Roadster +2010 Panamera Turbo + 2001 BMW Z8 + 1972 BMW 3.0 CSi +2009 Bentley Arnage T