DavidSF:

RC, I applaud you for saying you love the 991 even though you have a 997 Carrera GTS. It takes a strong secure man owning a 997 to say that. Most people who own a 997 will say they hate the 991 or find fault with it.

Thank you but I actually cheated a little bit. Smiley I already knew the precise technical specs many months ago, this is also the main reason I liked the GTS a lot.

Yes, I like the 991 a lot but when I ordered the GTS, I took in consideration the following points:

1. A Cab (my wife wanted one) would be available earliest next summer (2012).

2. The GTS special lease offer I got from Porsche Financial (18 months only, switching to any other Porsche model afterwards possible without any problems), would very likely not be available for the 991.

3. It would be very unlikely to get the generous rebate I got on the GTS for the 991.

4. Performance-wise (engine, straight line), the GTS and Carrera S are practically the same.

5. New model, new quirks (not that this would really have kept me from getting the 991).

6. The 991 (Coupe) is available starting December 3rd in Germany...in the middle of the winter (I live in Bavaria, winters are usually snowy and unpleasant).

I could continue this list but the truth is, I took in consideration each and every point and made my decision based on logic, money and of course my family situation.

Those who actually bought the Carrera GTS, should be happy...I guess. I don't think that the value of the GTS, especially since it has more power than the brand-new 991 Carrera S and of course the wider rear, will drop as much as on other 997 models. I even think that demand for the GTS will be pretty high on the used car market, which reminds me a little bit of the situation of the 996 Carrera 4S back in the days. Compared to other 996 models, the C4S dropped in value only after some considerable time after 997 introduction.

What will I choose after my 18 months lease period runs out ? To be honest, I don't have a clue. The 991 GT3 or 991 Turbo would probably be my favorites but since my family comes first, I could also go for the Cayenne Turbo S (should be available by then) or even a Panamera Turbo S (more unlikely since this car has only four seats and costs substantially more than the Cayenne). Money is tight, like I said before, so it may not be a 911 anymore, which would be very very sad.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 997 Carrera GTS Cabriolet PDK, BMW X5M, BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S Countryman All4