I disagree. I think we may well see future models offer this innovative system as an advanced driver aid as there is not a substantial weight penalty involved. You have to change your mindset on AWD as this system is unlike any other on the market. I'll be surprised if the 599 replacement doesn't incorporate this system either as standard or as an option.

Here is a run down of the new 4WD system by Paul Horrell of TopGear magazine -

"Can a car have 4WD for security, but still drive like a Ferrari? Can even Ferrari manage that?

Well, the FF doesn't actually have a normal heavy 4WD system with a centre diff and an extra prop shaft. It has a normal Ferrari configuration, with the drive going from the V12 back to a seven-speed twin-clutch gearbox driving the rear wheels. This is good for weight distribution, and in the dry the FF is as fast around a track as a 599 (it's only a little heavier, yet usefully more powerful). Felisa (Ferrari CEO) swears it feels like a proper front-engined RWD V12 Ferrari, too. And he has spoken the truth to me in these matters all the 16 years I've been interviewing him.

So what about the four-wheel drive, then? Uniquely, power is also taken off the front of the engine, which is behind the front wheel centres. It's fed to a compact lightweight unit containing a set of clutches that can progressively feed in torque to a tiny integrated gearbox and front diff. It has only two gears, roughly the equivalent of third and seventh in the main box. How can this be? Because the clutches are always slipping under electronic control, and the front tyres would never be able to make use of all the V12's torque in first or second.

What this means is the car's electronics can smoothly dial up a portion of drive to the fronts if they predict a loss of traction at the back. Yes, they're predictive as well as reactive. And they only do this in the road and slippery-road settings of the steering-wheel manettino. In the more hardcore modes, you can still run it as pretty well entirely rear-drive."

The full article can be found here www.topgear.com/uk/car-news/ferrari-ff-2011-01-25