I think we have to not fool ourselves here. OK, we are car guys. We are seriously into Porsche. I, like 'easy_rider911', can break down a promo video in minute-by-minute details, too. We are fanatical Porsche folk.

In my youth I was a pretty ripping guitarist, and I toured all over the globe. I still am the very heart of things a purist in that field and I live music in much the same way I live cars and Porsche. But playing to thousands of people all over the world I realised that there was indeed a disconnect, especially between those who hired me to play and those who listened... surprisingly, also in the attitudes of those I performed alongside and of course those who vehemently attended my shows! (Just for you own interest if you ever want to see some of my music: youtube "kiran jay haslam" !!!)

These days I am well and truly a car guy. In fact, I am lucky enough to drive and write about cars for a living. Porsche, Bentley, Audi, Ferrari, Lamborghini... do you know how many "manufacturer representatives" I interact with who clearly have no passion or interest in these cars, other than it merely being a job that pays the bills? I think the founding of Porsche was based on a principle derived from a purist's dream. And by purist I don't mean "it must be aircooled blah blah", I mean, taking anything to the nth degree. These days, honestly, I think the only carmaker still like that is Bentley. In fact, they are today, thanks to Dr. F.J. Paefgen, unique in the world of manufacturing. Bentley (and Bugatti) and to a lesser degree Porsche, VW and Audi are staying true to that. However, marketers rule the world. Everyone is steered by the forces of accumulating wealth and power, so whatever was said in a promo video, although based on facts, is designed to prompt an emotion that results in a sale.

I want to say "4-cylinder 911... bollocks!" ... but I need to drive it before I say that. One of my all time favourite cars was the mid-engined 4-cyl turbocharged Renault 5, you can get some amazing bang out of a well crafted 4. Just think Lotus Exige Cup 260!

Kiran

--

Current steeds in the stable include: Porsche 996/911 (2004) '40 Jahre' Anniversary - 363bhp, Porsche-VW 914 (1973) 1.7 - 78bhp, Volkswagen Tiguan (2008) 2.0TFSi - 200bhp, Volkswagen Touareg (2009) V6 - 280bhp, Volkswagen Golf Mk3 (1993) VR6 - 189bhp