Carlos from Spain:

I think the problem is not if a low power-to-weight econo diesel Panemera is a good idea for some customers, because it is, for certain types of use that diesel version makes good sense as Lars well pointed out. The problem some people have with it is that such a cars in the line up, decrease the brand image of Porsche as a high-end high performance sporty automaker like Aston, Maserati, Lambo, Ferrari, future Lotus, ect) and more like a BMW type company. Many current Panamera customers will not like that their car will now be offered with a 260HP diesel engine. If they were installing the Audi W12 diesel engine, then that would be different, and there would be less objection to it.

For me brand image is not a function of the number of cars made or what other models are in the same brand but it is derived from the quality of the cars made. How good the cars are. There have been limited production names that made rubbish cars and mainstream brands with real stars in their range.  Moreover, what matters for me is the model I choose to own and drive. If it has the quality of design and construction and the right performance and gives me pleasure, then I don't care what engines other models have or how they look.

Similarly, someone who chooses a high performance Mercedes (SLS for example) doesn't care about the A150 and doesn't get involved in the logic of whether or not it devalues their car.

Perhaps in the future if and when Porsche are fully integrated into the VW Group, they could become more like Lamborghini or Bentley focusing on particular segments. But now it would be foolish to drop their very popular models and hence lose revenues for the fear of appearing mainstream. Anyway, Porsche production in total is around 100.000 units p.a. hardly at the same level as premium brands like BMW or Mercedes.

--

"Form follows function"