10 days to go till Friday Practice at the new Yeongam circuit in South Korea. Being a new circuit, I guess none of us really knows what to expect. At least, it appears that everything is all set and there will be a race taking place there.

http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2010/10/11382.html

IMHO it's a little risky for a brand new circuit to play such a major part in the final stages of the championship. I would have been happier if this had been one of the flyaway races near the start of the season - rather like Bahrain was when it hosted its inaugural race a few seasons ago.

I think Hamilton's and Button's chances have receded significantly since Japan. They don't have the quickest car, their team hasn't been able to set up the car to maximise its performance, the drivers have made errors or tactical mistakes that have meant they have not finished on the podium as consistently as necessary to beat the 2 Red Bull drivers or Alonso. Hamilton and Button depend now on something going wrong for the others i.e. their hopes are no longer entirely within their own hands.

More than ever, I see this as a straight fight between Alonso and the 2 Red Bull drivers.

However, it is too easy to fall into the trap of thinking how this will play out if all drivers perform to their best. But that's a big 'if'. Anything can happen. Engines and gearboxes may not last a race weekend. Drivers and/or their pit crews could make mistakes under pressure. A DNF can happen at any time for any reason. So any of these top 3 could become 2010 F1 World Champion.

I still think Alonso can do it but let's see. Red Bull returned to winning ways in Suzuka with an utterly dominant performance. When they win so easily like that, it really feels like this championship is theirs to lose.

http://www.formula1.com/results/driver/2010/

Mathematically, Webber is in the lead but when did he last win a race? Hungary was a long time ago. If Vettel keeps winning and Webber keeps coming second, Vettel will win the title.

Meanwhile Alonso needs to outscore both Red Bull drivers consistently. He also needs Massa to take points away from the 2 Red Bull drivers but I can't see that happening. Massa seems like a broken man since Hockenheim with no fight left in him. He is no 2 at Ferrari. He always was. But the tragedy is that he didn't want to believe it until it was communicated to him in front of the whole world. And now he seems deflated and demoralised. Other than earning money to pay the bills, there is no future for him at Ferrari except as Alonso's helper. He is a loyal man so maybe he will do this. But for how long? And how content will he be playing a secondary role?

I guess all will be revealed over the next few weeks Smiley

--

RT Moderator - 997.1 Carrera S GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen collection

Rennteam signature photo 2.jpg