After today's action-packed race, the next enthralling encounter is due to take place in Japan in 2 weeks' time.

It is still uncertain whether there will be 3 or 4 more races to decide the 2010 Drivers' and Constructors' Championship Titles. The race in South Korea is not yet certain to take place.

Crucially, that means that there may be fewer points available than originally expected - and fewer races to catch up points shortfalls.

IMHO there is a huge difference between drivers who say all the right things (about being consistent and avoiding DNFs) and those who actually deliver. I see this as a straight fight between Alonso, Webber and Vettel.

Hamilton says the right things but then makes key mistakes that have resulted in 2 consecutive DNFs. Button has been more consistent but his car simply lacks the out and out speed to beat Alonso or the 2 Red Bull drivers. Button's only weakness this season has been qualification performance and his delivery when the car is not to his liking.

I find Vettel still too inconsistent. He can't expect to get away with qualification errors like touching the barrier (like he did yesterday in Singapore). That cost him pole position and therefore the race. At least he didn't have a slow start (like he often has done this season). Trying to leave the pitbox in 2nd gear - another error today that crept in due to the pressure.

So, if I had to pick the 2 main protagonists: IMHO it is Alonso vs Webber.

Of these two, I see the momentum lies with Alonso. Webber may be calm and confident but Alonso is self-confident and really driven. Alonso has an intense sense of purpose that only Vettel and Kubica also possess IMHO. Alonso has 2 consecutive wins.

IMO the crucial difference is that Red Bull is still dividing its efforts between 2 drivers whereas all of Ferrari is focussed on just 1 man. Plus, Red Bull cares about the Constructors' Title too. For Ferrari, that was lost long ago. So you can be sure that Maranello is thinking 24/7 how to make Alonso become 2010 F1 World Champion in his debut season with Ferrari.

At the moment, only 2 drivers in F1 are the complete product: Alonso and Kubica. Sadly for Kubica, he is in a Renault and he is outperforming the car. If Kubica had been in a Red Bull car all season, then IMvHO this title would have been decided already.

Kubica and Alonso are the only relentless drivers who, when they are focussed on the task in hand, simply do not make mistakes no matter how much pressure they are placed under. Alonso has made mistakes earlier this season - he had lost some of his sharp focus when driving a poor Renault for 2 seasons.

But I think he has now rediscovered the form he had in his 2 championship winning seasons with Renault. This is ominous for 2011.

I expect Alonso to become 2010 F1 World Champion.

Next season depends on whether Adrian Newey can deliver more magic for Red Bull. If not, I expect Ferrari to develop the fastest car at the start of the 2011 season. One can't predict beyond the start of 2011.

--

RT Moderator 
- 997.1 Carrera S GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen collection

Rennteam signature photo 2.jpg