nberry:

After reading your posts I believe I have an understanding with what you are wrestling with. You want change from your Porsche and do not know which direction to take particularly since it involves substantially more money than what you are accustomed to paying. 

Your Porsche is gone. Do you need the change now or can it wait? My advice is to test drive the California. If it blows your sock off, buy it. iF you like the car but remain uncertain then park your money and wait for the next Porsche model or any other model which will be out in a couple of years.

If you want a car now, seriously consider a used Scud or 430 with an extended warranty and a promise by the dealer to provide a 458 within 2-3 years. To me the Scud looks more aggressive than the 458 and its performance is on par if not better. BUT it is not an everyday car. Nor is the 430. The California is.

My guess is you probably will be better off just sitting and waiting for the next Porsche or new California.

Also Nick, thx. You are one of the best veterans here as you went to the Ferrari Land and came back to Porsche Land and you have owned both of top end models of the brand so you can speak for sure... like how you say the turbo pdk will blow your F1 spyder (ex drive) off for 100K less... Well I thought after owning 2 Porsches, do I yet want another 911? is the key. Is it worth waiting for? Considering that Porsche is pretty predictable (except for the interesting looking Panamera). I figure if I keep waiting, I will end up with not buying anything and soon just driving... these things are urges... like I used to collect watches and how now I don't even fuss about putting on the watch... that day will come when a Prius feels the same as my Ferrari.