Our friend and highly valued user Wonderbar sent me this first impression report from Geneva. Enjoy.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Spend some time viewing the new Cayenne Turbo at Geneva Show yesterday and today.  Impressions:

1.  This a MAJOR generation design change.  Absolutely not a facelift.

2.  Car is rounded off significantly--front, back, sides, roofline.  Front rakes down quickly from the windshield, toward a front nose cowl, and now better shares the front design of other models--Cayman, Boxter, Panamera, even 997.  Front lights are cleaned up and well integrated, with new reflectors as well.  Well done, IMHO.

3.  Side panels are indented at the bottom, as opposed to rather flat panels of current models.  The interior padding at the bottom of all windows is clearly visible, immediately giving the impression the interior is more padded and substantial.  Side mirrors are larger than current model.  Rear panels have noticeable curves and design elements, which seem to complement the wrap around rear lights.  Red reflectors are behind the rear wheel wells, just as the bumper begins to curve around toward the rear hatch.  Turbo 2 wheels are fantastic on this car.

4.  Rear lights are large but do incorporate full LED functions, and give the impression that the car flows more around the car from the side to the rear hatch.  I talked to Michael Mauer who oversaw the design, and asked about his concepts. He said the lights were designed to match the size of the car, to incorporate all functions, to emphasize the curved flow from side to back, and to de-emphasize the utility image of the current rear hatch.  He was striving to make the car a more complete design, not a car with a flat rear and a hatch that says in effect "I am a rear panel, load here".  Rear hatch mimics the front hood design--it is noticeably convex, as opposed to the flat panel of current model.

5.  Inside is completely redesigned. Much more styled, far more elegant.  Many Panamera elements.  Rear seats can be pushed back several centimeters, creating noticeably better leg room for back seat passenger.  Seats can also be pushed forward creating more trunk space. All great improvements, though the polished aluminum elements from the Panamera jar me a bit--too much metal everywhere for my taste.

Overall a major change, and one which should be quite successful.  Talked with a Swiss Porsche dealer who was very enthusiastic about the rounded, integrated look, which he says will appeal to a much larger audience. While the car is now more rounded, it is still (at least in the Turbo) very powerful in presence.

Sorry, no pics until next week.  But current official pics present the car well.   

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks again to Wonderbar for his first impressions ! 

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor 997 Turbo, BMW X5 M (03/2010), BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S JCW