ADias:
SciFrog:
ADias:
SciFrog:
ADias:

I am the contrarian here: The Porsche redundant buttons are great and make sense. If Ferrari and Lambo and the others had chosen redundant buttons and Porsche had later brought the L/R paddles people would complain anyway. It's all about what one is used to.

Not true.

Let it go, Porsche puddles are not the best system. Could you live with it? Of course, but why compromise...

Your opinion, against mine, and I do not think that your opinion has more value than mine.

How many miles do you have driving a PDK? Please tell me it's at least 1000 miles and plenty of tight mountain roads. If you do not have such experience, do not bother to reply. Smiley

--

A. Dias --- 997.2S (ordered). Previous cars: Corvette C6,  996 C4.

PDK is great, but the puddles make you drive in auto mode...

I did not do that many miles of course, but like said above, you can get used to anything. I am even using the horrible tiptronic buttons on the Cayenne once and a while. The problem is you can't change gear safely if the wheel is turned 180d. And please don't say use the stick then. With proper paddles, there is no need for a stick (Ferrari AM and Lambo have known this for years). Space is at a premium in a car, the stick simply has to go, it serves no function. Even WR begged the bean counters for paddles...

I'm sorry but you make no sense. As I expected, you do not know what you talk about. I have 1500 miles with a PDK and most of those miles on tight mountain roads. I agree with you though that you cannot change gears safely with the old tiptronic buttons, and neither can you with L/R paddles attached to the wheel, when the wheel is rotated a good bit, like 180deg, but... you surely can shift safely with the PDK push/pull redundant buttons. It makes no difference where they are - it's always push to upshift, pull to downshift, on either button. That  is a great foolproof advantage.

I long learned that it's a waste of time to rationalize and share one's true PDK experience with manual drivers who have no stakeholding with PDK but always on the ready to criticize what they know nothing about. Smiley

Hmm... I think that you are VERY SUBJECTIVE here...

1. Why is Walter Rohrl claiming that PDK steering wheel with buttons is simply plain wrong? He says that buttons do not make any sense-and I agree with him. BUT, you do not...

2. Why is Porsche now offering paddles steering wheel as standard on 997.2 Turbo S? Marketing? Come on...

3. 99% of current 997.2 Turbo PDK orders are with optional paddles steering wheel. All those people must be wrong if you are right?

...and little fact story for you: I drove with my friend, he in his 997.2CS and me in loaner 997.2CS-both with PDK and button steering wheel. We were driving on very curvy mountain road in Croatia(Gorski Kotar for those who know the region). He was using manual Sport + mode and I was using D Sport + mode. Guess who was faster? SmileySmiley Me with D Sport + of course...

Even Porsche admits that fastest mode for 7.50min Ring time with 997.2CS PDK is D Sport+. So, use of buttons or paddles is not the key element. Except if you came from manual car...