RC:

I rather think the de-badging started with the "what does the neighbor think" thinking and social unrest in the 80s, when hundreds of thousands were gathering in the streets, shouting "down with Pershings", "down with America" and "down with capitalism". It got more relaxed later on and the de-badging became some sort of a way not to provoke and to keep a peaceful social atmosphere. With rising capital and the media reporting each and every day how the poor get poorer and the rich get richer, things changed again and it was very important to keep a certain "cover" on ones financial well-being.

A very good example is actually a friend of ours, he is a dentist. We met him and his family a couple of times a month for over a year and it was only after that year that we actually found out that he owns...a 911 Cabriolet. Before that, we saw only a Volvo stationwagon and his wife always admired my wife for driving a Cayenne. NOT A SINGLE word about the fact that they were owning a Porsche too.

You can imagine that we're not so good friends anymore, simply because we don't like it when people hide things, for whatever reasons.

Welcome to OUR world. Reality.  

RC, it's sad that things are as they are where you are situated.

It a little bit like that there here as well. If people see you drive a flashy car, there will always be those  who think you are being shovenistic.

I used to be like that. With our conditions here with the gap between the poor and wealthy one of the largest in the world. It does have a substantial influence.

However, you only live once - so I try my best to not let it mould the way I should live. It's not living when you have to watch or think about everything you do or say strategically, all the time.

You have a family so your views are obviously different and you have more than just yourself to think about. If I treat the general public with respect/courtesty and they can not do the same in return irregardless of one's financial position. I could care less about what they think IMO.