Hi guys, it's been 3 years since I collected my 997.1 C2S from the Porsche factory in Zuffenhausen Smiley I've enjoyed another great year with this wonderful car that never ceases to amaze and thrill me Smiley 

This past year I have enjoyed some wonderful driving courses at the Porsche Sport Driving School in France. These courses have enabled me to improve my driving skills so that I can derive even greater pleasure from driving my 997.1 C2S. The limiting factor had not been the car, it was me Smiley However, I made good progress in overcoming that limitation this past year Smiley

My car has now completed 16000 miles (25750 km). So far, it's been running flawlessly Smiley The cost of running this car has been perfectly reasonable. Unfortunately, the annual road tax has now increased to GBP405. The Cobra PVTS annual subscription has increased to GBP195. And since my car is now 3 years old, I had to obtain its first MOT certificate (which confirms it is roadworthy) which cost a further GBP48.

Other than that, I haven't had to spend anything on servicing or maintenance during the past year.

It hasn't needed any topping up of engine oil over the past year even though I drove the car very hard for 3 days on a track in Magny-Cours. The last time I topped up the engine oil myself was nearly 2 years ago at 10100 miles. A complete engine oil change was done 1 year ago at 12285 miles when my car had its first minor service done. Now, after 3 years ownership at 15996 miles, (i.e. after a further 3711 miles since the minor service and after a further 5896 miles since I last topped up the engine oil myself), I have still not needed any further top ups of engine oil. That means that, apart from the engine oil change at 12285 miles, I have actually only topped up the engine oil by 1300 ml in total over 15992 miles (NB there were 4 miles on the odometer when I collected the car from the factory at Zuffenhausen). That's only 0.0813 ml per mile.

I imagine that the 1 litre bottle of Mobil 1 engine oil that I carry around with me in the car (that still has 700 ml left in it) must surely by now have lost its viscosity since it has been open for nearly 2 years. If I ever have to top up with engine oil, I will simply get a new bottle. I wouldn't want to add engine oil that may have lost its viscosity.

A Porsche dealer also did a complimentary annual inspection for me (when installing my short shifter) after I returned from the Porsche Sport Driving School at Magny-Cours and confirmed that everything was fine. They only needed to add a little brake fluid (due to all the repeated hard braking on the track). I thought I might need to replace the tyres and/or brake pads after doing those courses but nope Smiley They're not necessary yet Smiley The brake pads still have plenty of wear left. The tyres have between 3-5 mm of treadwear left on the inner, central and outer parts of the middle 75% of all 4 tyres. So I intend to use them for as long as I can - including some track driving next year - and then change them after that (if need be). I may even get nearly 20000 miles out of them. All year round, I use a partial load setting of 2.4 bar tyre pressure for the front tyres and 2.8 bar tyre pressure for the rear tyres. Smiley

All I can say is that I really, really love this car Smiley I take care of it - and it takes care of me Smiley

I would also like to express my sincere thanks and deep appreciation to all of you for your help, advice and, most of all, friendship. Rennteam remains a very special place and your friendship means a lot to me Smiley

Here are some links for some trips I've made during the past year in my car:

Visit to Cambridge.html

Visit to Bicester and Oxford.html

Photos of my car around London.html

Lunch at The Kennels 4.10.09.html

My experience at the Porsche Sport Driving School in Magny-Cours.html

During the past year, upon the recommendation of dreamcar and Kinrara, I also fitted a Tequipment short shifter:

Fitting a short shifter.html 

One trip that I wish I hadn't made was to Southend-on-Sea:

Trip to Southend-on-Sea.html

Fortunately, I was lucky to travel to various other places this past year:

Marrakesh.html

Mauritius.html

Here are some earlier threads regarding my car:

Factory Collection and my first impressions.html

1 year has passed since I got my 997 C2S.html

997 C2S: 2nd birthday 10th Nov 08.html

Hope you enjoy these threads guys Smiley

--