Had a chance to briefly drive the new e63 AMG. This car was not equipped with the optional Performance Package, which comes with 19" wheels, stiffer suspension, limited slip differential etc.

It did however have the optional P2 package, which included the best factory installed stereo system I've ever heard - made by Harmon Kardon, with 610 watts and 14 speakers. Having owned very high end tube gear at home, it was a pleasure to hook-up my iPhone and actually enjoy listening to music while driving. It really puts the stereo in my Turbo to shame.Smiley

To more serious matters, the moment I fired-up the car, I was immediately reminded why I've always enjoyed naturally aspirated motors - they just sound so good. Especially this one!   Smiley   It runs quietly until you get on the gas. Then it starts to sing. The engine is very responsive, providing instant torque, even at low rpm, making it feel more powerful than an M5. With 525hp and its contained weight of 1840kg (for such a large sedan), this car rocks.  Smiley

The gearbox is equally impressive. Smoother than any other DSG gearbox but with immediate gear changes in Manual Mode - which is one of 5 modes available. The throttle blips on downshifts are another bonus.

This vehicle rode on the standard 18" wheels, which provided a very nice ride with the suspension set in its Comfort setting.  Two additional settings are available - Sport and Sport Plus. Unfurtutely, I didn't have the opportunity to test its handling but the car felt absolutely solid and tight - very nice.

The interior looks and feels the way I believe an AMG should - sporty in a luxurious way. The seats were very supportive, similar to the Turbo's optional ones. The pedals are brushed metal - nice look. And finally, IMO this model now showcased MB's safety features. Intelligent Cruise control, blind spot warning arrows on the side view mirrors, vibrating steering wheel if the vehicle detects lane learing - (while falling asleep at the wheel).

Overall, a very impressive sedan for the money.  Smiley

Oh, I forgot to mention that I didn't care for the large clock in the dash and I believe MB could have done a much better job in its design. However, IMHO the AMG version does look much better than the standard one - especially the front fascia.

--
997TT Blk/Blk 05 Harley Davidson Ultra Classic