cannga:

A word on trail braking, an advanced technique that I don't claim any expertise (but that's not going to stop me from talking about it ) and something you also must be careful with or you will also find yourself on the curb. For those who are new to this, the principle is this:
1. First, while basic level teaching is you always brake in a straight line,  looking at the chart, you will see that if you do this, brake while approaching the curve, then stop braking just when you start turning, you are unloading the front tires -- backward weight transfer -- and decrease grip at the exact same moment that you want the front tires to be loaded -- forward weight transfer -- so that they could steer into the corner. Trail braking allows you to increase front grip so you could steer better (less understeer).
2. Second, what trail braking implies is that you are now braking later into the curve (and therefore are carrying more speed into it). Instead of brake 100% in straight line, then stop braking, then turn, you would brake say 80% in the straight and finish the last 20% in the curve while steering.
The goal is what? To have a higher exiting speed of course! Higher exiting speed is the ultimate goal and whatever you do in the curve, the method with the higher exiting speed wins and trail braking should result in higher exiting speed in most situations.

At least that's how I understand it; I am sure I'll be able to dig up something from the net and post later. Any expert feels free to chime in and correct me as needed. 

I have raced in 2 different Car Cup and the above explanation doesn't apply to all cars, IMO.

While it is correct for an N/A engine front drive hot hatch (I raced 2 season in Honda Type-R Cup), a 4WD Turbo car has different driving tactics.

When I was racing in Mitsubishi EVO IX cup, I figured out that trail braking didn't result in fast times. Turbo had to be spulled, so instead of carrying most speed through the turn, you brake earlier, start to steer the car into the turn than you build up the revs and of you go.

I learned that it is more important to apply earlier throttle on the car and build up speed on a turbo car than carry the most speed during the turn and then apply throttle.

On the other hand, on N/A front drive car, this technique is perfect. You just carry as much speed as you can and once you hit the apex you are just flat out. Also it is important to be on throttle while turning because the cars we raced had mechanical LSD which works under throttle load.

So if you come with too much speed and trail brake through the corner, if you are still hot for the corner and don't put your foot on the gas, the LSD doesn't work so you cannot turn in. Instead you come a little slower and with throttle you turn-in better with more speed just because the LSD is in work.

Some of my racing observation. I'm no expert on this. However, all I can say that every car has different cornering techniques. A front wheel drive N/A engine car is different than rear drive N/A engine powerful car and a 4WD turbo car is different than all. On the other hand Mitsubishi EVOIX and 911 Turbo are both 4WD turbo cars, but they are still very different.

--

ONUR

09 Audi TTS Ibis

07 997 Carrera S / 05 M3 Coupe / 03 M3 Coupe / 96 M3 Coupe EVO (ALL BUT HISTORY)